Trump Welcomes Families of Attacked Guard Soldiers to the White House
President Donald Trump announced on Sunday that he has asked the loved ones of a National Guard member fatally shot last week to attend the presidential home.
He added that he spoke to her parents and they were “devastated”.
Background on the Tragic Shooting
Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, twenty years old, was fatally shot in a attack on last Wednesday in the nation's capital.
Her colleague, Andrew Wolfe, twenty-four years old, is still in the hospital in serious condition.
Memorials across West Virginia have taken place in their remembrance.
Presidential Invitation
The commander-in-chief explained he’s proposed a White House visit for the families of both soldiers of the state National Guard.
“I told them: ‘When you’re prepared, because that’s a difficult moment, come to the White House. We’re going to recognize Sarah,” Trump addressed reporters. “And likewise with Andrew, no matter the outcome.”
Community Reaction
Mourners assembled over the weekend at the high school in West Virginia to remember Sarah.
Both the soldiers had been serving with the military unit as part of the president’s government program to support policing efforts in Washington DC.
Honoring Sarah Beckstrom
“Sarah was the kind of student that teachers hoped for. She carried herself with inner fortitude, a bright grin and a optimistic attitude that encouraged those around her,” Hankins, the principal of Beckstrom’s previous school, told the press. “She was kind, considerate and always willing to support those in need.”
Funeral arrangements for Beckstrom are yet to be finalized.
Judicial Measures and Policy Adjustments
Authorities have accused a 29-year-old individual from Afghanistan with a charge of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder while carrying a weapon.
The incident led the administration to halt asylum applications and halt granting visas to holders of passports from Afghanistan.
Condition of Wolfe
The airman, a resident of the city, enlisted in 2019 and is a 2019 graduate of Musselman high school, as reported by the news agency.
He remains under medical supervision and is “battling to survive”, West Virginia governor Morrisey said on television.
Attorney general Bondi stated on Fox News Sunday that she aimed to speak to the family.
Legacy of Beckstrom
Sarah, from her hometown, completed her education from her high school in 2023 and began her service not long after, working as a law enforcement officer with excellence, according to the West Virginia National Guard.
“She had a lot of goodness and she certainly had fortitude,” he told the gathering at the service. “Though her life ended too soon, she has left a mark that’s going to be remembered always.”